San Francisco, CA
Tools and Systems
- Django, PostgreSQL, Apache, Subversion, Git, SSHD, VI, Wordpress, Joomla, MySQL, Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Dreamweaver, NFS, Postfix, Samba, SSL, Plesk, Firebug, AJAX, Unattended, Nagios, Visual Studio, VMWare, Gnuplot, JSON, LDAP, OpenID, Twisted
APIs and Libraries
- Google Visualization API, Google Maps API, Yahoo BOSS API, Yahoo! User Interface Library (YUI), jQuery, Twillio, lxml, expat, Qt, PyQT
Windows (98,2000,XP, Server 2000, Server 2003, Server 2008), Debian Linux, Ubuntu Linux, Redhat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, FreeBSD, Solaris, Windows Mobile, TinyOS, Android, OS X
March 2009 » present
Web Application Developer
Johnson Space Center, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Houston, TX
- Used AviSynth for video manipulation
- Creating a RFID inventory management system with Python, using Django, and Linux
- Created Windows CE application for reading RFID tags using WJR7000 RFID radio module with C# in Visual Studio 2008
- Compiled and configured large C projects from source in Linux using Make, used SWIG Python wrappers
July 2008 » February 2009
Lead Web Developer
Davis Newman Payne, Knoxville, TN
- Created whaler.com, a custom CMS built using Django, with jQuery AJAX components. Also designed from the start with SEO in mind.
- Worked closely with designer. Converted Photoshop images into XHTML/CSS, complex Flash integration.
- Consolidated many previous websites onto one dedicated RHEL hosts.
- Maintenanced PHP/MySQL (primarily Joomla), Classic ASP/MSSQL. Communicating and interfacing with previous developers on a regular basis.
- Created and helped deploy advertisements with AdvertServe.
- Used AWstat and Google Analytics to analyze web traffic.
- Managed over 100 domains
- Started developing with Django 0.96 and currently developing with Django 1.0
- Deployed production site using Apache 2.0 with mod_python
- Upgraded Python 2.3 to Python 2.5 on a RHEL 4 server, this required recompiling mod_python to use Python 2.5. This upgrade was necessary because because inlined models with UTF-8 characters were causing unexpected errors. Submitted a ticket to the Django project documenting this incompatibility with Python 2.3.
- Successfully migrated the Django database from SQLite to MySQL to PostgresSQL with complete data integrity.
- Using django_evolution and manual SQL modifications was able to modify Django models while retaining all data, while site was in production mode.
- AJAX with jQuery
- Worked very closely with designer, tightly integrating Flash into the CMS with the use of Flashvars stored in the Django models. Also created XML with Django to be used by the Flash.
- Created PHP/MySQL back-end for data entry from Flash. I had to assist the Flash developer send the correct data via querystrings. Used Wireshark, live http headers, and Fiddler2 debugging proxy to debug the Flash object and help the developer create a functional component. The PHP page for displaying the data uses AJAX to sort and display the data. The page also outputs data to .csv for viewing in Microsoft Excel
- Administration of dedicated collocated RHEL 4 machine , and configured complex Apache configuration files.
- Imported SSL certs from other hosts to new host and properly configured Apache to use certs.
- Used Apache .htaccess to provide authentication system for PHP/MySQL sites
- Experience using mod_rewrite to create SEO friendly links.
- Creating complex dynamic HTML UI using jQuery.
- Using subversion version control system or Git for all projects. Setting up email scripts to indicate my development activity to my managers. Resulting in very verbose revision history and much more transparent development process. This also helps to maintain very close contact and good communication channels.
- Deployed internal wiki (PHP dokowiki) and ticketing system (Zope - Python, IssueTrackerProduct) to help document and manage tasks.
- Deployed Jabber server (ejabberd) to facilitate real time collaboration.
- Migrated company of 25 people and 100s of gigs of email to Google Apps, for email, chat, and office suite. The devices migrated were Windows machines, Mac machines, and mobile devices.
- Integrated data collection with external SOAP server.
- Setup PHP/MySQL site to facilitate the transmission of large files from non-technical clients. Also provided documentation describing the process of uploading files step by step.
- Generated PDFs dynamically using data from Django models with pisa, and report lab.
- Integrated TinyMCE rich text editor into Django Admin interface for WYSIWYG editing.
December 2004 » December 2007
Electrical and Computer Engineering Dept., University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
- Configured and Deloyed 50+ Debian Linux workstations
- Ensured contractual computing requirements were achieved and maintained
- Provided desktop support to 250+ Windows, Linux, and Solaris hosts
- Maintained 33 servers used by 1500+ users
- Wrote and maintained scripts for host monitoring and daily maintenance
- Deployed Windows Lab installations using Unattended
- Web development using PHP/MySQL, using opensource projects such as Dokuwiki, and Request Tracker
- Apache web server administration
August 2006 » January 2007
General Electric, La Fayette, GA
- Researched and deployed a system to monitor consumer usage of electric stoves.
- Developed suite of software to analyze data gathered from the data collection system using VB.NET, Perl, and MySQL.
- Data visualization using Gnuplot
May, 2003 » January, 2004
SENT Software, Inc., Nashville, TN
- Maintained Windows 2000 servers running MSSQL 2000 and IIS
Created technical documentation for project
Created web application with security in mind for use by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, keeping audit trails for all user actions, and securing the server behind firewalls and restricting IP access.
2003 » present
Freelance Web Developer
- Deployed sites using opensource projects such as Wordpress, Joomla, Mambo, osCommerce
- Created brands for clients, including logo design
- Web Marketing, and SEO
- Analytics for clients using Google Analytics
- Technical support to clients in person, on phone, and over the Internet
- Managed client relationships, and finances
2004 » present
University of Tennessee
- Computer Science and Communication
1999 » 2003
Hume-Fogg Academic Magnet High School